Thursday 12 February 2015

THE GREAT OUTDOORS BAG

CASUAL OUTDOORS BAG 












This I made for my family. Actually the inspiration for the bag came from a….. shoe bag ! ! ! ! I had bought a pair of shoes which were delivered to me in a cloth bag of this design. So the thought was to make a similar bag with strong leather. A bag that would be able to hold some weight and look nice and bright and lively and peppy but also classy, if possible.

I chose a bright, lively, eye-catching yellow for the main body of the bag. The handle is made of traditional brown leather to add a touch of class. The bag should look lovely but not frivolous. Fun… with a dash of purpose. And be truly useful.

It is sized to hold two half litre bottles of water or any other liquid (!). Not for me as I do not have any other !! drinks !.  But it’s a nice idea I thought. 

The beauty of the bag is its single handle. It is stitched on one side and passes through a small cut on the other side and holds the bag firmly in your grip. Also, to give very firm strength I have inserted a small piece of polyester where the stress is going to be maximum. This is done so that the leather does not stretch when taking the weight in the bag. There is a piece of polyester inside the cut through which the handle passes and another piece is sandwiched between the two leathers where the handle is sewn. On both sides of the handle. This will take the weight, yet it will not stretch the leather where the weight is going to cause maximum stress. 

Leather + these small polyester pieces make this bag a bag for at least two generations. Two generations of The Great Outdoors. . . . . 



No comments: