Friday 9 January 2015

PENCIL POUCH - TOOL POUCH

WRAP-AROUND POUCH.


Made on a whim, this one. There was no real reason, but the mind was jumpy and had to get my hands to do something. The mood was not a subtle one I guess and that reflected in the rustic yet classic colours that got picked for this work.

A simple pencil pouch was drifting around on my mind for a while.

The leathers seemed perfect for such a project. Medium temper with a soft leather strip. The triangular side walls offered a good challenge to make by hand. So, it didn’t turn out so simple after all. At least, it was not a cakewalk.

Went for a rustic wrap-around close, much like a tobacco pouch (“chanchi” in our Marathi language).  Used a brown strip to contrast the dark chocolate colour of the main pouch. Riveted the strip to the pouch in addition to strong glue. This offered character to the pouch plus a strip firmly secured for the long term. This, by the way, was my first use of the rivet. From all appearances, it seems it went very well.

The structure is robust, and easy to handle. Can take some rough handling and will surely go deep into the future. How do I know? Well, I ended up using it to store my precious pricking irons. It is an almost daily use item now, so I know. 

No comments: