Monday 5 January 2015

MOBILE COVER - CHESTNUT COLOUR FOR THE BUSINESS CLASS

Mobile cover in nice chestnut.




This is a cover I made for my mobile phone (eventually hijacked away by my daughter ! ! ! ). A simple Samsung one.  This photo was taken while I was travelling in my car. Got a nice burst of sunlight, so clicked it on my mobile.

My earliest creation. Was a ball of nerves as I began it. Many mistakes were expected as I started it. I wanted it to look classic, respectable (!), classy, elegant, tough and so much more. My business is in the stock market, so definitely it could not look frivolous and fun. It had to have a rather serious(!) look to it.  It had to look and feel prim and proper. Nothing less would do. With so many boxes to tick for a very early project, the nervousness I’m sure was understandable.

This is was a no-risk situation. So choosing a chestnut was a no-brainer. I guess, it always works in serious business ambience. The tan (again a business choice) closer was used to give it some get-up. And one does need some excitement after all. All chestnut would be too grim to look at.

Didn’t have a pricking iron at the time. So raided the kitchen for the daily use fork to mark the stitch holes.  This was beginning to get seriously adventurous now.

But this is where the tests started. The project looks quite small, but for a first timer the biggest requirement was to keep the focus on. And this was difficult. I didn’t know that keeping focus was going to become so demanding. I had to take many short breaks just to relax my mind. Must have taken hours to complete this one. But the feeling of exhilaration and completion was terrific at the end of it all. Must acknowledge it that this was a first lesson in the sheer levels of focus and concentration require to do handmade leather items. This, again, is very demanding yet equally liberating.

There was a rough edge or two, but they smoothed out with time and usage.  Now this cover has been flicked by my daughter (despite the supposedly businesslike look), and she proudly carries her mobile in it to college and everywhere else. That has made me proud of my creation too!

I have a made a new one for myself, but we will visit that on another day. 

No comments: